A Lead or Opportunity is a prospective consumer of a
product/service or a potential contributor to a nonprofit organization. A lead
is created when an individual or business shows interest and provides contact
information. Your organization may gain access to a lead through advertising,
trade shows, direct mailings or any other marketing efforts.
To get started, choose either
Constituents > Leads or Sales and Marketing > Leads/Opportunities - from the Argenta main menu on the left-hand side of the screen:
This opens the full listing of your Leads/Opportunities. From here, click the "Add New" button:
This opens the Add A New Lead by Designating A Constituent As A Lead screen:
From here you need to fill out these two fields:
- Constituent ID - To avoid duplicates in your database search for a constituent to designate as a lead. Click the Lookup button and to search for and select the constituent you are designating as a lead (You can search by full or partial name. ie Jane Doe, Jane or Jan). If a constituent is not in your system you can add a new constituent by selecting the Add New button. For help on adding a new constituent see our other KB Article, Add Constituents. This is a required field.
- Active Date - Enter the active date for your lead. You can manually enter a date or use the Calendar selector. This is a required field.
Once these details have been entered select the "Add This Lead" button. This opens the Lead/Opportunities Workspace for the Constituent you have selected:
There is a lot of information on this tab and nine additional tabs of information contained within this workspace. Lets go field-by-field and tab-by-tab:
1. Lead/Opportunity Details tab:
This tab displays the bulk of the information on your lead. From here you should enter:
- Record Permissions - Set As View Only - Placing a checkmark in this box restricts this
record to view only access unless the user is the user who created the record,
the user is a master admin, or the user is given specific permission to modify
this record on the Record Permissions tab of this
record. Permissions also work by assigning a department, district and/or
precinct. If you have users in your system who are restricted by these
permissions, they will only be able to see records in the
departments/districts/precincts you have granted them access to.
- Record Permissions - Lock This Record - Placing a checkmark in this box locks this
record so that users cannot view or update the record unless the user is the
user who created the record, the user is a master admin, or the user is given
specific permission to access this record on the Record Permissions tab
of this record. Permissions also work by assigning a department, district
and/or precinct. If you have users in your system who are restricted by these
permissions, they will only be able to see records in the
departments/districts/precincts you have granted them access to.
- Open Full Constituent Record - Selecting this will open the constituents full card allowing access to all the constituent tabs.
- Lead's Affiliated Organization or Short Description of Lead - You may enter the leads affiliated organization here or a description of your lead.
- Active Date - Enter the date the lead was entered into the system or the date the lead should be designated as active. This is a required field.
- Associated Team Member - If the lead is assigned to a specific member of your team such as a board member, a staff member, or a volunteer, select the corresponding affiliate by clicking on the Lookup button and searching for and selecting your team member. If there is no designated team member you can select "Unassigned" by clicking the “Clear” button.
- Ambassador (Referred By) - If someone referred this lead to you, that person is sometimes referred to as an ambassador. Use this field to select the constituent who acted as an ambassador and referred this lead. Click the Lookup button to search for and select your Ambassador. If no one should be assigned here you can use the Clear Lookup button to remove the name and assign "Unassigned" to this field.
- Is this lead a student? - If this lead is a student select "Yes" otherwise leave this as "No".
- Did lead request physical collateral? - Is this lead requested physical collateral select "Yes" here, otherwise leave this as "No".
- Lead/Opportunity Type - Select a type from the drop-down list. Argenta comes loaded with lead types. Lead types are the potential interactions these leads could have with your organization. Potential interactions include things like: potential volunteer, potential donor, or a potential sale. These are very important. When you convert your lead to an actual constituent, this Type is how your lead will convert in the system. For example, if you choose a potential volunteer, when you convert the lead, it will convert the lead to a volunteer. If you wish to add any other types of interaction you can do so by selecting the Add New button. This field is not required but is highly helpful.
- Lead's Organization Role - The Lead Role is the job title of the lead. It's how you know the level of authority for your lead. You may currently be talking with an administrative assistant, whose job it is to gather information. Ultimately, your objective is to reach a decision-maker like the Executive Director or the CEO. If an appropriate role is not listed you can add a new one by selecting the Add New button.
- Lead Weight - You can select a weight from the drop-down list. Lead Weights are used to rate a lead's potential for conversion. Lead weights include cold, warm and hot. If you wish to add a new weight you can do so by selecting the Add New button.
- Acquisition Source - Select a source from the drop-down list. Argenta comes loaded with common acquisition sources. If you want to add a new acquisition source you can do so by clicking the Add New button next to the Acquisition Source drop-down list. This will open a window, allowing you to type a new acquisition source. When the window closes the new source will be selected.
- Chapter - If this lead belongs to a chapter within your organization, choose one from the drop-down list. If not, leave this as "Unassigned".
- Division - If this lead belongs to a specific division within your organization, choose it from the drop-down list. If not, leave this as "Unassigned".
- Department - If this lead belongs to a specific department within your organization, choose it from the drop-down list. If not, leave this as "Unassigned".
- Status/Sales Cycle Stage - The Lead's Sales Cycle Status is part of the life cycle of a lead. It's important to note where the lead is in the
sales cycle as you work the lead and move it through to conversion or
completion. When the status of a lead is changed to No Opportunity RIGHT NOW, No Possible Opportunity or DO NOT CONTACT the lead is counted as a lost opportunity and will be displayed that way in sales and marketing reports. This is a required field. If you would like to add a new status you can do so by selecting the Add New button.
- Lead Category - Lead Category is typically used to indicate if and how your lead is
qualified. An Information Qualified Lead (IQL) has provided their
contact information in return for some type of useful information. A
Marketing Qualified Lead (MQL) is interested in how you might be able
to solve a problem for which they have been researching a solution. A
Sales Qualified Lead (SQL) is moving into the decision stage, they have
spoken with a salesperson and they have an active interest in what you
have to offer. If an appropriate lead category is not listed you can add a new one by selecting the Add New button.
- Last Date of Contact - Enter a date of the last contact here. You can do so by manually typing in a date or by using the calendar selector.
- Is Follow up Needed? - If a follow-up is needed select "Yes" here, otherwise, leave this as "No".
- Follow Up Date - You can set up a follow up date and a notification reminder here. This will show the reminder on your calendar and send you an email. More on this below in the "Notifications Tab" write up. You can manually enter a date or use the calendar selector.
- Follow Up Topic or Description - You can choose to enter details or a description about the follow up here. This is an open text box that allows you to enter any details or description you wish.
- Referring Web Form - This is the name of the web form used by this lead, if acquired through
the use of an online form. If the lead used one of your Argenta public
interface forms the form name is automatically entered here.
- UTM Code - UTM codes (or UTM tags) are a way to track traffic coming to your website from a specific platform. For
example, if you post a link to your site on Facebook, and you include a
UTM code, you will be able to track people who clicked on that specific
post and how they interacted with your website.
- Financials - Enter any acquired financial information about the lead in this field. This is where you can record any financial information you know about this lead. Things like yearly income, annual or quarterly budget, etc.
- Competition - Is there another organization or entity competing for this lead to take action with them? If so list them in the Competition box with some of the pros and cons to what they offer. List any additional information necessary.
- Acquired By Campaign - Leads can be acquired by a sales and marketing campaign. To associate a campaign to this lead select the corresponding campaign by clicking the Lookup button, searching for and selecting the campaign. If you want to add a new campaign you can do so right here on this screen by clicking the Add New button. This opens a window, allowing you to type in a new campaign. When the window closes the new campaign will be selected. This field is not required and you can leave it to the default of "No Associated Campaign".
- Final Outcome - You may choose to enter some details about the final outcome of the lead here.
This is a good time to save your changes before making any other changes to your lead. Simply click the "Save All Changes & Continue" button to save your progress. Or use the Save Icon at the top of the page.
2. Associated Campaigns tab:
If you would like to add this lead to a campaign you do so on this tab. Simple click the "Add This Lead To A Campaign" and your lead will be added and the associated campaign will be shown:
3. Associated Programs tab:
If you would like to associate this lead to one of your programs you will do so on this tab. To associate a lead to a program click the "Add New" button. This will open a box for you to search for and select your program. Once associated to a program, you will see the program listed here:
4. Email Notifications tab:
If you would like to send an email notification to your lead, you do so on this tab. Fill out the "Send To Email" field which will be prepopulated with the constituents email address. If you would like to Copy any members of your team on the email, select those from the drop-down list here. Next, enter a "Subject" for the email. You can edit the notification by selecting the "Edit Notification" button. Once you are satisfied with the notification you are about to send, click the "Send Notification" button to send the notification:
5. Contact Log tab:
You can add an unlimited number of contacts to this lead. This tab shows you any logged contacts you have with this lead. In addition, when you log a contact you have the opportunity to also log the contact as an engagement should you choose. To add a contact click the "Add New" button and fill out the contact fields:
6. Email Log tab:
Any emails that you have sent through Argenta to this lead will be logged on this tab:
7. Engagement tab:
This tab shows all the engagements you have created for this lead. In addition, you can create an new engagement for this lead from this tab. Click the "Add New" button to add a new engagement. Once the details of the engagement have been filled out, you engagement will be shown on this tab:
8. Files tab:
As with many areas of Argenta, you can add an unlimited number of files to this lead. Any attached files, can be found on this tab. Additionally, you will add files to this lead on this tab. To add a file click the "Browse" button to search for and select a file from your computer. Or use the Drag and Drop box to drop your file. Either way be sure and click the "Save The Selected File" to complete the file saving process:
9. Notes tab:
On this tab you will find any notes that you have created for this lead. You can also add new notes to this lead on this tab. To add a new note click the "Add New" button. This opens a textbox area where you can type as much information as needed for the note:
10. Record Permissions tab:
This tab controls the record permissions for the lead.
View Only Access:
Sometimes you want users to be able to view a record but block them from modifying that record. Individual records can be set to View Only so only master admins and users who are listed here can edit them. To grant users permission to modify this record simply add them here. Select a user from the "Select A User To Add" drop-down menu then click the "Add Selected User" button to add the user to the view only access permissions.
Locked Record Access:
Individual records can be locked so only master admins and users who are listed here can view or edit them. To grant users permissions for this record simply add them here. Select a user from the "Select A User To Add" drop-down menu, then click the "Add Selected User" button to add a user to the locked record access permissions.