Third party giving in Argenta can be used when a third party, gives a donation on behalf of another donor. An example of this would be as follows: The Tom Family Trust gives a $5000 donation on behalf of John Tom. For financial reporting purposes The Tom Family Trust should be the donor of record (as this is where the money came from), but you still want to acknowledge John Tom (the 3rd party giver) as a contributor to your organization. Using third party giving allows you to accomplish this easily.
To Add A 3rd Party Donation in Argenta
First, you must designate a donor as a third party giver.(Third party givers are those givers that you are receiving the donation from) You can do this when you add a donor or you can update a donor's record by selecting "Yes" in the "Is this donor a third-party giver?" section.
To update an existing donor record, select Constituents (CRM) or Donations and Grants > Donors.
(If you need help adding a donor, please see KB Article - Add Donors
This will bring up your full list of donors. From here we will search for and select our donor that we are making a third party giver. Filter, scroll, or use the search bar to search for and select your donor. Click the open icon, to open the donor record.
This will open the quick constituent card for the donor. This is where you will select "Yes" to "Is this donor a third-party giver?"
Once the Donor has been added and/or designated as a third party giver, you can add a third party donation. Make sure to save the record before moving on. You can save the record from the save icon at the top of the constituent page or by selecting the "Save All Changes & Exit" button.
From the main menu on the left side of the screen, select Donation and Grants > Fiscal Donations.
Then, click the "Add New" button above the fiscal donation list.
This will redirect you to the, Add A New Donation screen.
On this screen you will enter the following details:
- Donor ID. Lookup or add the donor. This is the person that the donation was made on behalf of, or in memory of.
- Date of Donation. Use the date selector or manually type the date of the donation.
- Donation Amount. This is the numeric donation amount.
Once these details have been filled in, click the "Add Donation & Enter Details" button to add the donation and start entering the details.
This will the open the Fiscal Donation Workspace. From here you will fill in all the fields about your donation.
If you want to add the transaction to your financials select the "Add This Transaction To The General Journal" check box.
- Argenta uses nonprofit, fund accounting. Here you can choose which fund will be added to.
- Next, select a deposit of checking account. This is where your funds go when they're received.
- Argenta makes use of the "*Undeposited Funds" account. A good example of using this account is when you have multiple checks you need to deposit. You probably won't deposit each check separately, so you can add them all to *Undeposited Funds, then go the General Financials > Deposits and create one deposit transaction that can be reconciled in your bank account register.
- Argenta is a double entry system, so next you must select an account from your chart of accounts to debit the funds.
- If you use the cash accounting method, this would probably be an account like "Donations".
Fill out as much of the Donation details as you can or that is needed.
To create the 3rd party donation you will choose the Donation Code, 3rd Party Giving. Then you will choose the 3rd Party Giving Platform. (These are the constituents that have been marked as 3rd party givers, those that you are receiving the funds from.) This will create two donations. The first, will list the third party giver as the on behalf of person or in memory of person, with no donation $0.00 amount. The second donation will list the actual donor, the person you received the funds from and display the donation amount.
Once the subsequent donation for the original donor is created, you aren't able to change the donation code, the 3rd party giver, or the donation amount. If you have made an error, you'll need to update the donation designated as the financial transaction. To access the donation and make changes, click the "View Donation From:" link in the the 3rd Party Giving Platform field.
The donation amount for the 3rd party giving will always be $0.00!
Make sure to save all your changes before moving on. You can do so by selecting the save icon from the top menu or by selecting the "Save All Changes & Exit" button.
You can also choose to lock the record by placing a checkmark in the "Lock This Record" box.
Choosing to lock this record prevents users from viewing or updating it,
unless they're either a master admin or given specific permissions on
the Record Permissions tab.
Permissions also work by
assigning a department, district and/or precinct. If you have users in
your system who are restricted by these permissions, they will only be
able to see records in the departments/districts/precincts you have
granted them access to.